History of Hoo Hill Maze

Hoo Hill Maze is set in privately owned grounds within a small, secluded orchard.

The Maze itself measures 30 metres square, and 2 metres high, with a 6 metre square centre. It was designed and planted in the summer of 1983 by the owner, John Brindle, using 1000 Golden Leylandii saplings.

There is an extension to one side planted about 1993, slightly less labyrinthine, but continuing the theme.

The pathways are gravelled making them readily accessible even in wet weather. In all, it creates a challenging and enjoyable time for all the family.

The Maze has been closed to the public since September 2009, during which time John has been working hard to create an additional garden area , providing a beautiful, peaceful and reflective space to enjoy the natural surroundings.